1 cup rice
2 cups water
1 cup chopped tomato
½ cup chopped onion
3-4 tablespoon of oil or ghee
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
salt to taste
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
3 green chillies
½ cup green peas optional
Chilli powder to adjust the taste
Coriander leaves for garnish
- In a cooker, add ghee/oil to heat. Add bay leaf, cloves, cardamom,cumin seeds and fry for 20 seconds on low flame.
- Add onion and fry till they are transparent.
- Add green chillies, green peas and tomato. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, turmeric powder and stir well.
- Add 1 cup rice and 2 cups of water.
- Check the taste of the water and add salt or chilli powder if needed. The taste of the water should be a little bit more spicy and salty than you expect the taste of tomato rice after it is cooked. If you feel that the water is too spicy or salty, you can simply chop another tomato and add it to the cooker. This will balance the taste.
- Close the cooker with lid and cook for 3 whistles.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.